The saying that you don’t really know something until you teach it has absolutely held true for me. I learn something in every class I teach. As an added bonus, it’s super satisfying to see learners pick up valuable and practical skills in a single day that took me a few years to figure out on my own.
I got started mentoring at Ladies Learning Code workshops, and now I primarily teach at Camp Tech, where you can also book me for private or corporate training sessions.
- October 11th, 2017: Best Practices for Website Accessibility with Camp Tech
- November 5th, 2017: WordPress for Beginners with Camp Tech
- November 8th, 2017: HTML and CSS for Beginners with Camp Tech
“Linn is a wonderful teacher. Down-to-earth and approachable, Linn creates an intimate, upbeat atmosphere in which it truly feels like there are no dumb questions. Drawing upon her experience as a web developer, she’s able to convey the practical implications of her material in an encouraging way. Overall, her workshop was a first-rate learning experience!
— Camp Tech workshop participant
My topic of choice is explaining technical details in a non-technical way (with a few helpful things thrown in for the experts in the room). If you need a speaker for your upcoming conference or training day, let’s talk! See the list below for examples of potential topics.
Don’t Fear the Custom Theme: How to build a custom WordPress theme with only four files
Getting Their Hands Dirty: Bringing Clients Into Every Step of the Iterative Web Process
Why cats make better freelancers than foxes
Coding Basics for WordPress
- Foundations of Digital Communications Strategy and Social Media, University of Toronto (slides)
“That presentation was BEYOND my expectation. It was simply awesome. I did try to learn with many tutorials how to build a site from scratch, but it was sooooo much information. But her… WOW. In one hour, I did understand everything, it was simple, clear, everything was there to start. WOOT WOOT!
— WordCamp talk attendee
If you have a web-related problem and need a little technical support, office hours are for you. Send me an email to set up a time and we’ll tackle your issue together.
Here are a few things that are totally possible to accomplish in an hour or less:
- Select and sign up for a hosting company, register a domain, and complete a one-click install of WordPress or another content management system
- Take a look at your current hosting and/or domain name providers to make sure they’re right for you and not overpriced
- Change some of the colours and/or fonts on your website
- Sign up for MailChimp and add your logo and colours to your first email newsletter template
- Debug code that’s causing an error on your site
- A crash course in the admin area of your WordPress or Shopify site
- Figure out which platform and add-ons best suit your needs
At the end of the hour, you’ll have the solution, or at least a much better understanding of what’s next. You can always book another hour if necessary. If you’re more of a DIY-er, I’ll give you a list of things to do and point you in the right direction.