Live & not in person (for the time being at least)!
The saying that you don’t really know something until you teach it has absolutely held true for me. I learn something in every class I teach. As an added bonus, it’s super satisfying to see learners pick up valuable and practical skills in a single day that took me a few years to figure out on my own.
I’ve mentored at Ladies Learning Code, taught in Humber College’s Bachelor of Digital Communications program, and lead public and private workshops at Camp Tech, where you can also book me for group training sessions (yes, we’ll teach over Zoom!).
Looking for some 1:1 help? Check out my office hours below.
“Linn is a wonderful teacher. Down-to-earth and approachable, Linn creates an intimate, upbeat atmosphere in which it truly feels like there are no dumb questions. Drawing upon her experience as a web developer, she’s able to convey the practical implications of her material in an encouraging way. Overall, her workshop was a first-rate learning experience!— Camp Tech workshop participant
If you have a web-related problem and need a little technical support, office hours are for you. Send me an email to set up a time and we’ll tackle your issue together.
Here are a few things that are totally possible to accomplish in an hour or less:
- Select and sign up for a hosting company, register a domain, and complete a one-click install of WordPress or another content management system
- Take a look at your current hosting and/or domain name providers to make sure they’re right for you and not overpriced
- Change some of the colours and/or fonts on your website
- Sign up for MailChimp and add your logo and colours to your first email newsletter template
- Give you a crash course in the admin area of your WordPress, Squarespace, or Shopify site
- Figure out which platform and add-ons would best suit your needs
At the end of the hour, you’ll have the solution, or at least a much better understanding of what’s next. You can always book another hour if necessary. If you’re more of a DIY-er, I’ll give you a list of things to do and point you in the right direction.
“That presentation was BEYOND my expectation. It was simply awesome. I did try to learn with many tutorials how to build a site from scratch, but it was sooooo much information. But her… WOW. In one hour, I did understand everything, it was simple, clear, everything was there to start. WOOT WOOT!— WordCamp talk attendee
My area of expertise is explaining technical things in a non-technical way (with a few helpful tips thrown in for the experts in the room). If you need a speaker for your upcoming conference or training day, let’s talk! See the list below for examples of potential topics.
Don’t Fear the Custom Theme: How to build a custom WordPress theme with only four files
Getting Their Hands Dirty: Bringing Clients Into Every Step of the Iterative Web Process
Why cats make better freelancers than foxes
Coding Basics for WordPress
- Foundations of Digital Communications Strategy and Social Media, University of Toronto (slides)